2017 Reading Challenge - A Book set in a Hotel


Hello everone :)
I was reading a lot lately...had a lot to catch up ^^
Today I have my choice for the category a Book set in a Hotel
and I chose:


The Shining
by Stephen King

The Original Cover
(pic source)


The Shining is a horror novel published in 1977. It is King's third published novel and first hardback bestseller: the success of the book firmly established King as a preeminent author in the horror genre. The setting and characters are influenced by the authors personal experiences, including both his visit to The Stanley Hotel in 1974 and his recovery from alcoholism.
The novel was followed by a sequel, Doctor Sleep, published in 2013.

And again I got a short review or summary from goodreads

*
"Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control. 
As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive? 
Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel - and that too had begun to shine."
*

Stephen King
(pic source)

I´ll give it a 9 out of 10
I love the way this book is written. But I really want to read it in english asap.
I´ve read it in german and once again I have to say I really recommend reading everything in its original language - as often as possible!
I cant say to much about the writing style as long as I don´t know how the original is written...do you know what I mean?
I am pretty sure that most of you know the movie adaption by Stanley Kubrick. The movie made the book famous but after reading it and comparing the book to the movie I have to say that the novel is darker and more perceptive. King himself remains disappointed with the adaptation.
He criticised the handling of the book's themes and of Wendy's character.
But never the less it is regarded as one of the greatest horror films ever made.
There are many amazing documentaries about the book and the movie - the differences and parallels.
So many different theories ^^
This novel is definitely one of the worst advertisements for the hotel and leisure industry.


For a little more inspiration and if you don´t like The Shining
here are some of many alternatives:

Evil Under the Sun (and others) by Agatha Christie
Grand Hotel by Vicki Baum
These Foolish Things (aka The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel) by Deborah Moggach
Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
The Hotel by Elizabeth Bowen
These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy


Which one is your choice?
Did you read The Shining yet? Or any other Stephen King book?
Do you like them?


With lots of love
♥♥♥
Verena


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD