2017 Reading Challenge - A Book with an unreliable Narrator




Hello you lovely Bookworms ^^
and..here it is...finally ;)
A new book review and a book which took way longer to read than expected... ;)

Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

pic source


Again a review from goodreads

*
"On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. 
Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and 
beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy 
daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl
 perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police 
and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. 
With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife?"
*

I´ll give it well...what to give it....
I think I never change the feeling about rating a book as often as I did with this one...
first I thought about something like a 5 or six....changed that to a a 6 or a 7 out of 10 and in the end
well...I really don´t know...
 I know there are many many fans of this, including my sister, but honestly I just did not enjoy it all
the time at all...I actually thought about stopping around page 200 but I made it through...I always do
 ;) I think I never stopped reading a book...just because I could miss an amazing twist ;)
And that is what happened with this book...around page 220 I really just thought oh come on...just
 stop reading but I am glad that I kept on ;) I think it was hard for me to keep on reading because of
 personal experiences in my life in the last years and just because of many things which happend to
 me regarding relationships, but don´t worry no spoilers here ;)
I managed to confront myself with it and made my way through and read the rest and I am very glad...
I can not really say that I´m glad that I read it to the end because I liked it so much but I have to say
...whether it is in a good or a bad way...this book will blow your mind.
I´ve never read a story about such a toxic relationship with so many thrilling and horrifying and
unexpected ups and downs and twists and turns. Even if I have to say that I, without knowing
 anything about the whole story, I kind of knew about the biggest twist in this whole ride.
This book, never the less a brilliant and genius psychological thriller, by an hugely talented author.
A instruction to a perfect relationship? How toxic are many relationships which seem normal to us "outsiders".


If you don´t want to get completely confused and mixed up with everything you ever thought about people, relationships and the whole mankind ;)
Here are a few more suggestions for this category - many are just as confusion to be honest ^^

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 
The Catcher in the Rye is set around the 1950s and is narrated by a young man named Holden Caulfield. He recounts the days following his expulsion from Pencey Prep, a private school. After a fight with his roommate, Stradlater, he leaves school two days early to explore New York before returning home, interacting with teachers, prostitutes, nuns, an old girlfriend, and his sister along the way. J.D. Salinger's classic The Catcher in the Rye illustrates a teenager's dramatic struggle against death and growing up.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This novel follows Jay Gatsby, a man who orders his life around the one desire to be reunited with his love Daisy Buchanan. His quest leads him from poverty to wealth, into the arms of his beloved and to many exciting adventures. The Great Gatsby, published in 1925,  is a classic piece of American fiction. It´s a novel of triumph and tragedy, capturing a cross-section of American society.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
A novel filled with realism and gothic symbolism combined to form a romance novel that's full of social relevance. A self-destructive journey of Heathcliff as he seeks revenge for losing his soul mate, Catherine, to Edgar Linton. In this classic novel published in 1847 you´ll find classic themes such as good versus evil, chaos and order, selfishness, betrayal, and obsession. Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights is a symbolic and psychological study of the nature of love.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
An other psychological thriller by british author Paula Hawkins.
Hawkins’ novel is about the story of Rachel Watson who stumbled through life in a booze-filled depression ever since her husband left her for another woman. Now she wiles away her days riding the commuter train to and from London even if she´s been fired from her job months ago. Everyday the train stops by her old neighborhood and there she sees a couple appearing to be living a perfect life. Then all of a sudden everything takes an very unexpected turn.

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. Its about a beautiful and distinguished family. A private island. About a brilliant, damaged girl and a passionate, political boy and a group of four friends whose friendship turns destructive. Its about lies upon lies, the love and the truth itself.

And get even more inspiration ^^

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Atonement by Ian McEwan
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson



Have you read this yet and are you one of the excited fans?
Lets talk about that ending - do you like it? And what do you think about both Amy and Nick?
What was your choice for this category?


With lots of love
♥♥♥
Verena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD