2017 Reading Challenge - A Book with a Title that´s a Characters Name



Good Evening bookworms :)

Todays book is for the category a Book with a Title that´s a Characters Name
a category which makes the choice easy on one side and haaaard on the other...
You have soo many possible books to choose from and soo many amazing ones!!!
As usual I had a little search through my book shelfs to see if I might have a book for this category at home - and I had ^^
an amazing one which I planned to read for years.


Daphne du Mauriers´
Rebecca


pic source


Its an classic piece of literature first published in 1938 and I cant believe it took me so long to read it
Rebecca is a gothic romance novel by English author Dame Daphne du Maurier. As a best-seller it
sold 2,829,313 copies between its publication in 1938 and 1965, and the book has never gone out of print!
Again I helped myself to a review from goodreads

*
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . ."
The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives--presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.
First published in 1938, this classic gothic novel is such a compelling read that it won the Anthony Award for Best Novel of the Century.
*

pic source


I´ll give it a 7 out of 10 - I don´t know exactly why but there is something about it I did not like.
Its nothing about how well it is written or how amazingly the plot is done...its something about the
 story...I wish I could put my finger on it ;) but its definitely something very personal!
Its also one of those books which need a lot of patients to read for the first 150 pages. There is a lot of story which seems to be
necessary to be explained...is that even a sentence ;) hahaha
and I always think that makes a book a bit harder to read...especially for someone with a more
´common´ taste in books...I don´t know a better word to describe it, sorry.
You know someone who likes to read simple, light books which a easy and relaxing to read ;) I hope you know;) Well
usually I am not that kind of book reader, of cause sometime I just like something more on the trivial
side, but most of the time I enjoy books which can be little more challenging ;) So I wondered about
myself when I started to write "This book took a long time till it got interesting" ;)
But never the less I liked it ;) Yes I did thats why I gave it a 7 out of 10.
Many amazing characters, the story is good and its amazingly written in so many details, a very compelling read.
But I have to say, to admit what huge mistake it would have been if I´d have ever stopped reading it
and I am sure that the only reason I every stopped reading...meaning every paused for a few hours or
days...is that the plot itself was something I had some weird problem with...again I wish I could say why...
I found this amazing (Pro-Rebecca) review over on the website of the guardian
and I loved so many things in there
For example - the amazingness of the title choice and the names
Rebecca - a character in the book which actually never present but still such a huuuge influence on the book
- btw it totally stunned me when the name came up the first time ;)
Plus we never ever learn the name of the main character in the the whole story.
She´s only ever called Mrs. de Winter...I never even questioned that till now ^^
This is a truly amazing review ;) read it if you want to know more


Now...for a little more inspiration and if you don´t like Rebecca
here are some of the many alternatives:


The Harry Potter Series
Do I really have to say anything about the amazing HP books?
I´m sure you all know the adventures of Harry and his friends fighting their way through school.
(p.s.I know probably the worst description ever^^)


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Jane Eyre is a young orphan being raised by her cruel, wealthy aunt Mrs. Reed.
A servant named Bessie provides Jane with some of the few kindnesses she receives. One day, as punishment for fighting with her bullying cousin John, Jane’s aunt imprisons Jane in the red-room, the room in which Jane’s Uncle Reed died. While locked in, Jane, believing that she sees her uncle’s ghost, screams and faints. She wakes to find herself in the care of Bessie and the kindly apothecary Mr. Lloyd, who suggests to Mrs. Reed that Jane be sent away to school. To Jane’s delight, Mrs. Reed concurs.
But once she arrives at the Lowood School, Jane finds that her life is far from idyllic.


Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Oliver Twist is born in a workhouse in 1830s England. His mother dies just after Oliver’s birth. The first nine years of his life, Oliver spends in a home for young orphans. After that he has to go to a workhouse for adults. The other boys there bully him into asking for more gruel at the end of a meal. Mr. Bumble, the parish beadle, offers five pounds to anyone who will take the boy away from the workhouse. Oliver narrowly escapes being apprenticed to a brutish chimney sweep and is eventually apprenticed to a local undertaker, Mr. Sowerberry. When the undertaker’s other apprentice, Noah Claypole, makes disparaging comments about Oliver’s mother, Oliver attacks him and incurs the Sowerberrys’ wrath. Desperate, Oliver runs away at dawn and travels toward London. On his travels he meets many people, good and bad. He finds shelter and looses it and many adventures wait for him.


Carrie by Stephen King
I´m sur most of you already seen the movie adaption. Either the older version or the new one.
The story of Carrie White, a misfit high-school girl, who gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, is a twisted one. Repressed by a domineering, ultra-religious mother, who thinks that Carry is sent by the devil, and tormented in many cruel ways by her fellow students at school, her efforts to fit in lead to a dramatic confrontation during the senior prom.


Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The day after they moved in, Coraline went exploring. In Coraline's family's new flat are twenty-one windows and fourteen doors. Thirteen of the doors open and close. The fourteenth is locked, and on the other side is only a brick wall, until the day Coraline unlocks the door to find a passage to another flat in another house just like her own. Only it's different. At first, things seem marvelous in the other flat. The food is better. The toy box is filled with wind-up angels that flutter around the bedroom, books whose pictures writhe and crawl and shimmer. But there's another mother, and another father, and they want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go. Other children are trapped there as well, lost souls behind the mirrors. Coraline is their only hope of rescue. She will have to fight with all her wits and all the tools she can find if she is to save the lost children, her ordinary life, and herself.


Matilda by Roald Dahl
This book is about a precocious young girl called Matilda Wormwood. At a young age she is already able to do complicated math problems and read. While she is very intellectually curious, she is neglected by her family who show her no interest. As revenge, she plays tricks on her absent parents.   When she attends school, Matilda's intellect is discovered by her teacher Miss Honey who attempts to inform the school headmistress Miss Trunchbull and Matilda's parents but her attempts are met with deaf ears. Following a prank her best friend pulls on the Trunchbull, Matilda discovers that she has telekinetic powers.


Still in need of some suggestions?

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Emma by Jane Austen
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Madam Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
...
and so many many others


Which one is your choice?
Did you read Rebecca and what did you think?


With lots of love
♥♥♥
Verena



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD