The Reading Challenge 2016 and a book and its prequel


Good evening :)
An other amazing category and one which made me read five books acually ;)
Tonight I have a very exciting book for you...well for me at least ^^
I was and am a HUUUUUUGE Tolkien fan and it all started with my 10 year old self discovering the whole wide world of The Lord of the Rings - and with that it all started

The book I have today is kind of a prequel of The Lord of the Rings

J.R.R Tolkiens´
The Children of Húrin
- edited by his son Christopher Tolkien 



An other little story I am going to read together with The children od Hurin and The Lord of the Rings is The Hobbit which is the actual prequel of tLotR but I´ve read it about 8 times already so...wont work here would it ^^So basically I am reading five books for this category ^^
I hope its alright that I´ve read tlotr alrady but I think its okay so it is for me ;)


To make it easier and to stick with the concept here is as usual the review from goodreads
(pic above is the same source)

*
It is a legendary time long before The Lord of the Rings, and Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwells in the vast fortress of Angband in the North; and within the shadow of the fear of Angband, and the war waged by Morgoth against the Elves, the fates of Túrin and his sister Niënor will be tragically entwined.

Their brief and passionate lives are dominated by the elemental hatred that Morgoth bears them as the children of Húrin, the man who dared to defy him to his face. Against them Morgoth sends his most formidable servant, Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire, in an attempt to fulfil the curse of Morgoth, and destroy the children of Húrin.

Begun by J.R.R. Tolkien at the end of the First World War, The Children of Húrin became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth. But he could not bring it to a final and finished form. In this book Christopher Tolkien has constructed, after long study of the manuscripts, a coherent narrative without any editorial invention.
*


pic source

I´ll give it a 9 out of 10 - actually I could give it a 10 ... but I tried to be objective and not to just love it because its a Tolkien.
That might still be a bit biased because of my fan-girling but I think everyone who ever enjoyed reading Tolkien will think the same ^^

Since this post is actually about the prequel I decided to not also talk about TLotR and the Hobbit...that would make this post...well it would simply be way to long ^^ hahaha
but lets talk about all the books in the comments ;) which one is your fave and did you read all of them and of cause there are all the others like the Silmarillion ;)


For more ideas for this category click here to read a little collection of books and their prequels
There are so many to choose from and let me know which combo you went for ^^


With lots of love
♥♥♥
Verena



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD