The Reading Challenge 2016 and a book you haven´t read since high school


I just checked and can´t believe that my last book review was over an month ago o.O
how should I ever make this challenge ^^

Today I´ll talk about my choice for the category "A book you haven´t read since high school"
and since I remembered really enjoying to read Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
To add a little bit extra I decided to read Part I and II because I did not know Part II so far.

As always here is the review from good reads

*
"Goethe’s Faust reworks the late medieval myth of a brilliant scholar so disillusioned he resolves to make a contract with Mephistopheles. The devil will do all he asks on Earth and seeks to grant him a moment in life so glorious that he will wish it to last forever. But if Faust does bid the moment stay, he falls to Mephisto and must serve him after death. In this first part of Goethe’s great work, the embittered thinker and Mephistopheles enter into their agreement, and soon Faust is living a rejuvenated life and winning the love of the beautiful Gretchen. But in this compelling tragedy of arrogance, unfulfilled desire, and self-delusion, Faust heads inexorably toward an infernal destruction.

The best translation of Faust available, this volume provides the original German text and its English counterpart on facing pages. Walter Kaufmann's translation conveys the poetic beauty and rhythm as well as the complex depth of Goethe's language. Includes Part One and selections from Part Two."
*


This is just a classic every single one of you should read. 
It is a german classic and there are so many phrases out of this book which are actually used in
everyday language - don´t know how it is in other languages though
;) tell me!!!!

My all time favourite phrase - which is a little boring because it is just the best known one... ;)
"Das also ist des Pudels Kern" 
- won´t translate that - won´t end good ;) hahaha

We talked about this sooo much in school that you would think that I cant see it anymore ^^
but it is actually kind of funny how much you can talk about this without it getting annoying ;)
There is soooo much to say about this book - too much and that would definitely

I just have to say that I enjoyed reading it a second time just as much as I liked it the first time...
so I´ll give the first part definitely a 10 out of 10


Part II is amazing too ;)
Just not as good as part I ;) haha hard to rate though maybe a 8 out of 10 ... ya about that ;)

Have you read Part I? Or Part II?
What do you think? What do you like most about it ;) and which one is your fave?
What was your favourite book in high school?


With lots of love
Verena

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD