The reading challenge - No.9 - a book a friend recommended

well today is going to be a funny little review...
the story:
It all started with me reading short stories from Poe...it all ended with me loosing the book...
or thinking that I lost the book...today I´d like to review you 3/4 of the short stories...
but I thought I am not going to write a complete review of every single story in the collection so...
I found the book under my bed yesterday so...sorry guys no ways for me to finish it today...
not enough time...but since I completely failed with uploading yesterday...
I just wanted to have a post today and not skipping again :)

pic source the article is also amazing ;)
Edgar Allan Poe

pic source
The collection I am reading is from Penguin Books - Penguin Popular Classics
get it here


So...the stories in my book are:
1.The Duc de L´omlette
2. Ms found in a bottle
3. The Assignation
4. Ligeia
5. How to write a blackwood article
6. The fall of the house of usher
7. William Wilson
8. The Murders in the rue morgue
9. A descent into the maelström
10. The island of the fay
11. The colloquy of Monos and Una
12. The oval portrait
13. The masque of the red death
14. the mystery of marie pendulum
15. The pit and the pendulum
16. The tell-tale heart
17. The gold bug
18. The black cat
19. The premature burial
20. The purloined letter
21.The Imp of perverse
22. The facts in the case of M. Valdemar
23. The cask of Amontillado
24.  The domain of Arnheim
25. Von Kempelen and his discovery

I´ve always been a huge fan of Edgar Allen Poe...he is just a pioneer in so many genres in literature and I love how and about what he is writing.  Easy to understand and "I-dont-want-to-stop-reading"  stories. I do understand if some people say that some of his stories lengthen them selfs because he always describes every single detail, but I am also a big J.R.R. Tolkien fan so...he is doing the same thing ;) I like it, its just like...I don´t know you get a perfect picture in your head - your imagination is so perfectly stimulated....better than every movie could do it ;)
In "The fall of the House of Usher" and "The Black Cat" Poe wrote the first and best tales of terror...and hell ya they are good...also "The Pit and the Pendulum".
With "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"  E.A. kind of invented the detective story and tales such as "MS. Found in a Bottle" and Von Kempelen and his Discovery" he pioneered in modern science fiction.
I love so much that Poe possessed an unrivalled ability to create atmosphere and suspense. 
He always probes the darkest depth of human psyche. All of his stories push boundaries, make improbable possible and he makes familiar things terrifying and totally strange.

Well my favourites of this selection are definitely the pit and the pendulum, the black cat and MS found in a bottle

definitely a 9 out of 10
LOVE.LOVE.LOVE. - if you like scary films...try Poe :) and if not do the same ;) haha

The next book I am going to read it for the category: A book a friend recommended
And agin I unfortunately have to say that you have to ask your friends for recommendations ;) not me ...hahaha...I feel like not helping anyone with these reviews ;)
But I definitely want to know which book you read in the category so have something to read net year ;) let me know in the comments. I am going for "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson...which is started as I thought I lost my beloved Poe.

source

Well this is everything I can say today...you know what you have to do now, don´t you ;)
Have a nice Monday evening and enjoy the first days of autumn :)

♥  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

update on my ecocube christmastree

ecocube

BLOGMAS #DAY 14 + 15 - a christmassy FOTD